Warwickshire is a relatively safe place to live and most crime types are continuing to reduce. However, we also live in a global community which means we are affected by trends and events that occur at the international level. At present, we need to consider the international threat of terrorism and those people who are pulled into groups that support extremist causes.
In Warwickshire, authorities and communities are working together to deliver the Government’s Prevent Strategy. Prevent is one of four objectives which make up the Government’s Strategy for Countering Terrorism – CONTEST.
The Prevent Strategy has three key objectives:
- Respond to the ideological challenge of terrorism and the threat we face from those who promote it;
- Prevent people from being drawn into terrorism and ensure that they are given appropriate advice and support; and
- Work with sectors and institutions where there are risks of radicalisation which we need to address.
The Commissioner funds the county’s Prevent Officer, who develops relationships with professional partners, community members and leaders in districts and boroughs across Warwickshire, who have in turn become supportive Prevent leads within their own areas.
A series of workshops are being held to help raise awareness of the Prevent programme, to help people understand the vulnerabilities which may make someone susceptible to radicalisation and all types of extremism, as well as local safeguarding and referral processes. Dates and venues can be found below:-
- 10th September 2018: 1.30pm-3.30pm, Old Police Headquarters, Leek Wootton, CV35 7QA
- 13th November 2018: 1.30-3.30pm, Mancetter Memorial Hall, Old Farm Rd, Mancetter, Atherstone
- 24th January 2019: 10am -12noon, The Oasis, First Floor, Rugby Health & Well Being Centre, Drover Close, Rugby, CV21 3HX
- 7th March 2019, 10am -12noon, Saltisford Office Park, Ansell Way, Warwick,CV34 4UL. (Building 1, Ground Floor Conference Room 1)
- 16th May 2019, 1pm-3pm CHESS Centre, 460 Cedar Road, Nuneaton, CV10 9DN
To book a place, register on the WILMA website: https://warwickshire.learningpool.com or contact the Warwickshire Prevent Officer on 01926 412432. ‘Train the trainer sessions’ are also available – see dates on WILMA.
For more on the work to counter extremism in Warwickshire, visit the https://safeinwarwickshire.com/prevent/ website.