Decision Title: Stratford upon Avon Police Station Improvement Works – Various
Decision Reference: WPCC30005
Lead Officer: Helen Minett, Estates, Facilities and Health and Safety Manager
Date: 21 April 2021
This application is for funding for the following works at Stratford-upon-Avon Police station: Replacement of all windows Overhaul of heating and hot water systems Refurbishment of ground floor toilets and showers.
I confirm that I do not have any disclosable pecuniary interests in this decision and that the decision in compliance with the Code of Conduct. Any interests are indicated below.
Signature: Philip Seccombe
Date: 18 May 2021
1. Background Information
This is part of a series of projects to improve the standards of the building. Works have been identified through the Conditions Surveys and analysis of maintenance records.
Replacement of all windows
- The windows are single glazed with louvre openings.
- They are thermally inefficient
- The proposal is to replace with double glazed units to improve the energy performance of the building
Overhaul of the heating and hot water systems
- There have been numerous failures to the heating system.
- The proposal is to separate the hot water system to a stand-a-lone system independent of the heating
- Replace one boiler (oldest and most unreliable) with a more energy efficient model which will reduce energy consumption.
- The new boiler will be the duty boiler with an older one as the standby.
- Replacement of controls as part of as longer term strategy to provide centralised control of heating systems.
Refurbishment of ground floor toilets and showers
- Strip out and replacement
All projects include the removal of ACMs where necessary.
2. Detail of additional information attached
3. Expected Benefits
Improved working conditions for Police Officers and staff.
Improved energy performance of the building.
4. Impact of not approving the application
Continued issues with heating failures and the lack of insulation from the windows. During the summer, issues of overheating due to only small openings in the existing windows that fail to provide adequate ventilation.
Additional costs for electric radiators to supplement heating plus costs of loss of heat due to poorly insulated windows.
5. Costs (including any identified savings)
Revenue: There are no additional revenue costs associated with this work.
Capital: The costs for capital works are £534,317.38 this includes a 5% contingency sum. The costs are within the capital budget for Stratford improvement works.
Savings : The replacement of the windows and the overhaul of the heating and hot water system will make the building more energy efficient. As a result this will reduce energy usage and therefore energy costs.
6. Equality Implications
These proposals will improve the building for all users. There are no adverse implications for any underrepresented groups.
7. Legal Implications
These works are important for the maintenance of the building
Information in this form is subject to the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOI Act) and other legislation. Unless the information provided is covered by an exemption, the information contained in the form will be published on the Warwickshire PCC website.
Comments from the Treasurer
This project can be funded from within the 2021/22 total capital budget allocated to Stratford police station and courts. The budget of £1.945m for Stratford police station and courts was approved as part of the annual budget process and is fully funded.
The approval of this decision notice will see a budget of £534,317.38 allocated to this specific improvement project at Stratford. The project spending will be monitored separately, and included in the capital monitoring information shared with the Commissioner in the regular Money Matters report.
Comments from the Chief Executive and Monitoring Officer
These works are important for the maintenance of the building.