Post title: Business Support Officer
Responsible to: Office Manager
Location: The Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner (Currently located at 3 Northgate Street, Warwick)
Author: Polly Reed, Chief Executive
To provide comprehensive and flexible business and administrative support to all functions within the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner (OPCC) to meet the organisation’s needs.
1. Undertake day to day business support services to ensure the effective running of the office, including ordering goods, administration of post, copying, printing and filing and other ad hoc duties.
2. Manage correspondence and public contact into the office, utilising contact management systems appropriately, and supporting colleagues to use them effectively.
3. To receive internal and external visitors and ensure they are professionally and courteously treated during their visit. Liaise with appropriate departments to book facilities and refreshments as necessary.
4. Provide effective communication with internal and external contacts, ensuring that messages and relationships contribute positively to the OPCC’s reputation and credibility.
5. Provide support and facilitation for meetings and Boards including production and distribution of agendas and papers, taking and circulating minutes. Ensure meeting records represent an accurate account and include all relevant decisions, comments and issues.
6. Manage public contact through the preparation of appropriate responses, or signposting correspondents, using templates or taking advice for the purpose. Support the preparation of Freedom of Information or Subject Access Request forms.
7. Maintain and operate efficient and effective record keeping and filing systems ensuring they are updated and information is stored appropriately
8. Organise and support events, conferences, meetings and briefings
9. Produce documents, briefing papers, reports, spreadsheets and presentations and carry out analysis of information
10. Carry out financial administrative tasks including the bookings, ordering of goods and raising of invoices, ensuring that appropriate financial controls are in place. Manage the administration of the office credit card.
11. Manage travel arrangements for office staff, including booking travel, hotels, conferences, car parking arrangements etc.
12. To manage confidential information with discretion, ensuring such information is safeguarded appropriately.
13. To provide resilience to the OPCC Business Support Team to ensure a consistent standard of service is provided.
14. Work closely with other colleagues to improve operational practices, effectiveness and efficiency.
15. Maintain professional awareness and horizon scan for future developments, with a commitment to own and organisational development
16. Demonstrate a commitment to equality and diversity through actions and activities, using knowledge and tools to understand the impact of decisions on users.
17. Undertake any other duties as reasonably commensurate with role.
- Occasional travel across Warwickshire
- This role is politically restricted
- Flexi-time applies to this role
- Recruitment Vetting
- CTC Vetting
- Educated to GCSE must include English and Maths, or NVQ Business Administration L2 or equivalent by experience
- Understanding of the role of the PCC and the arrangements for governance of policing in the UK.
- Knowledge of information governance and security, such as the Data Protection Act 2018 (GDPR) and Freedom of Information Act 2001
- Experience of working in an administrative or customer focused environment
- Preparation of clear and concise minutes taking and facilitation of meetings
- Experience of working with financial systems and completing financial administrative tasks
- Dealing with confidential information
- Organising meetings and events
- Record keeping and filing in accordance with information governance requirements
- Producing high quality documentation for a range of audiences, including letters and other written correspondence
- Highly developed communication skills including written English
- Competent use of IT programmes, including Microsoft
- A problem solving approach to managing situations, with recourse to others where required
- Ability to take initiative and prioritise workload, working to tight deadlines, and operating calmly and professionally under pressure.
- Attention to detail
- Ability to build relationships and negotiate with others
- Customer service skills with individuals at all levels
All post holders are expected to know, understand and act within the ethics and values of the Police Service. These nationally recognised behaviours and values are set out in the Competency and Values Framework (CVF).
The CVF has six competencies that are clustered into three groups:
- Resolute, compassionate and committed
- Inclusive, enabling and visionary leadership
- Intelligent, creative and informed policing
Under each competency are three levels that show what behaviours will look like in practice.
This role requires the post holder to be operating at or working towards Level 1 of the CVF.